By now, you may have heard that after almost 30 years of ministry at Casowasco Camp & Retreat Center, Mike Huber is transitioning to focus entirely on his role as Director of Camp and Retreat Ministries for the Upper New York Conference. There are more details in the linked article here: https://www.unyumc.org/news/article/new-structure-in-uny-camp-retreat-ministries. The following is a message from Mike:
Casowasco is offering an American Red Cross Lifeguard & Waterfront Certification Training this spring! The course is from Tuesday, May 28 through Friday, May 31 and will include classroom learning in addition to practical training in both a pool and waterfront setting. Overnight housing and meals will be provided at Casowasco for the duration of the course.
This course will be FREE OF CHARGE for anyone who successfully completes the course and serves a full summer as a Lifeguard at any Upper New York Conference summer camp this season!
Call 315-364-8756 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to register today!
The Spring 2019 edition of our newsletter, Xenia News, is now available online. Click here to read about what’s been going in the life of Upper New York Camp and Retreat Ministries.
The following information was incorrectly listed on the poster for Summer Camp 2019. It is corrected below:
1. Game On! will occur from Sunday, July 21 through Friday, July 26, 2019. (Poster listed July 28 - August 2)
2. Master Chef will occur from Sunday, July 21 through Friday, July 26, 2019. (Poster listed July 22 - July 27)
3. Motor Madness will occur from Sunday, July 28 through Friday, August 2, 2019. (Poster listed July 21 - 26)
4. Art Gallery ‘46 will occur from Sunday, July 28 through Friday, August 2, 2019. (Poster listed July 21 - 26)
5. Circus of the Kids is for campers ages 9-14. (Poster listed ages 13-18)
6. Lights, Camera, Action is for campers ages 11-14. (Poster listed ages 13-18)
We apologize for any inconvenience. If you have questions, please feel free to call us at 315-364-8756.
What does it mean to be a donor?
It means actively engaging with the ministry of Casowasco and Upper New York Camp & Retreat Ministries. It means doing something more than just supporting this ministry with your voice and your prayers (both of which are immensely important.) It means actively underwriting the operational and program costs associated with offering a ministry that truly transforms lives.
Beginning with #GivingTuesday on November 27, 2018, and continuing through the remainder of this year, we invite you to Be A Donor to the Casowasco Annual Fund.
Over the coming weeks, we invite you to stay tuned to our Facebook page to learn more about what your generous financial donation supports.
Whether you ultimately decide to give $5/week, $15/month, or a one-time gift of $5000, we thank you in advance for choosing to Be A Donor!
This link will take you to the Upper New York Camp & Retreat Center’s donation portal. Please select “Casowasco Annual Fund” from the drop-down menu at the top of that form if you would like your donation to be used specifically for Casowasco. Donations to the “CRM Annual Fund” will be used where most needed at the end of the year.
The Fall edition of our newsletter, Xenia News, is now available online. Click here to read about what’s been going in the life of Upper New York Camp and Retreat Ministries.
Can’t get that song out of your head? Interested in what other songs we sang in Chapel throughout 2017? Well look no further! Below is a list of all the songs we sang in Chapel this past summer following the theme “The Vine.” If you’d like to listen to all of them on YouTube, we’ve created a Summer 2017 Chapel Songs Playlist.
1. 1000 Tongues by Vertical Church Band
2. All the Poor and Powerless by All Sons & Daughters
3. Always by Kristian Stanfill
4. Beautiful Things by Gungor
5. Build Your Kingdom Here by Rend Collective
6. Burning in My Soul by Brett Younker
7. Christ is Enough by Hillsong
8. Come Right Now by Planetshakers
9. Cornerstone by Hillsong
10. Endless Praise by Planetshakers
11. Every Giant Will Fall by Rend Collective
12. Fierce by Jesus Culture
13. Fix My Eyes by For King & Country
14. Forever Reign by Hillsong
15. From Inside Out by Hillsong
16. Happy Day by Free
17. Let God Arise by Chris Tomlin
18. Lord, I Need You by Matt Maher
19. My Lighthouse by Rend Collective
20. No One Like You by David Crowder Band
21. Oceans (Where Feet May Fail) by Hillsong
22. Oh For A Thousand Tongues to Sing by David Crowder Band
23. Only King Forever by Elevation Worship
24. Start A Fire by Unspoken
25. Take It All by Hillsong
26. The River by Jordan Feliz
27. Thrive by Casting Crowns
28. White Flag by Chris Tomlin
29. You Will Never Run by Rend Collective
Can’t get that song out of your head? Interested in what other songs we sang in Chapel throughout 2016? Well look no further! Below is a list of all the songs we sang in Chapel this past summer. If you’d like to listen to all of them on YouTube, we’ve created a playlist HERE.
1. Alive by: Hillsong Young & Free
2. All The Poor and Powerless by: All Sons and Daughters
3. Always by: Kristian Stanfill
4. Beautiful Things by: Güngor
5. Broadcast by: Fee
6. Build Your Kingdom Here by: Rend Collective
7. Burning In My Soul by: Brett Younkers
8. Cornerstone by: Hillsong Live
9. Courageous by: Casting Crowns
10. Echo by: Newport
11. Endless Praise by: Planetshakers
12. Every Giant Will Fall by: Rend Collective
13. Feel It by: TobyMac
14. From The Inside Out by: Hillsong
15. Furious by: Jeremy Riddle
16. Give Me Faith by: Elevation Worship
17. Great Are You Lord by: All Sons and Daughters
18. Happy Day by: Fee
19. Hello My Name Is by: Matthew West
20. Here For You by: Chris Tomlin (we do the Matt Redman version)
21. Indescribable by: Chris Tomlin
22. Lamb of God by: Vertical Church
23. Let God Arise by: Chris Tomlin
24. Light Up The Sky by: The Afters
25. Live With Abandon by: Newsboys
26. My Lighthouse by: Rend Collective
27. No One Higher by: Chinua Hawk
28. No One Like You by: David Crowder Band
29. Nothing Is Impossible by: Planetshakers
30. Oceans (Where Feet May Fail) by: Hillsong United
31. Oh For A Thousand Tongues To Sing by: David Crowder Band
32. Only King Forever by: Elevation Worship
33. Our God by: Chris Tomlin
34. Rise and Sing by: Fee
35. Stand In The Light by: Jordan Smith
36. Start A Fire by: Unspoken
37. Take It All by: Hillsong United
38. The Earth Is Yours by: Güngor
39. This is our Time by: Planetshakers
40. Unstoppable God by: Elevation Worship
41. We Are The Free by: Matt Redman
42. White Flag by: Chris Tomlin
43. You Will Never Run by: Rend Collective
44. Your Love Never Fails by: Jesus Culture
To view the complete newsletter click HERE.
“Commitment is what transforms a promise into reality.” - Abraham Lincoln
There are numerous references in the Bible addressing the Christian’s commitment in various aspects of
life: to our families, neighbors, employers, the church, our health, and in all things we do and say (Acts 2:42;
Hebrews 10:25; 1 Corinthians 6:19, 31). But the Bible also teaches that the chief commitment of our lives is to
God. Jesus said, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your
mind. This is the first and greatest commandment” (Matthew 22:37-38).
Paul followed the Lord’s example of commitment in sacrifice and service. Paul said, “I have been crucified with
Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in
the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me” (Galatians 2:20).
One of my favorite things to do is read camper evaluations. This is where we learn about favorite foods,
activities, and what the campers would like us to add or subtract from our programs. This is also where we
offer the campers the opportunity to disclose how the experience at camp helped them in their commitment
to follow God. The entire reason camp and retreat centers were established was to assist the local church with
the evangelic work of renewing or creating a transformed life for Christ. All the fun activities and meaningful
learning help to create the environment where one can meet the creator and come to walk side by side in a
relationship that changes all other relationships.
Our centers are incredible places where participants on retreat or engaged in one of our summer camp
programs learn about the act of commitment. Whether it’s serving table mates, community cabin/lodge clean
up, or taking turns on a given activity, guests learn that there is a God, God loves them, and God wants a
relationship with them. We encourage campers to commit to forming genuine community, to each other, and
to creation around us. Each and every week campers are invited to make a commitment: to renew an existing
relationship with God, or to prayerfully consider making a first time commitment to follow Jesus and live as a
transformed light in the world.
Many people over the years have made sacrificial commitments to serve our centers with their time, talents,
and financial resources. Even just this summer thousands of hours were donated as service to God and
these beautiful places. Nancy prepared over 30 hand made custom stoles for Director’s Invitational and has
for many years. Jennie and John gave 47 full days and drove an hour each way over the summer months to
serve at Aldersgate as an act of commitment to God. Each and every Thursday a group of men sacrifice their
‘to do’ list at home and commit to traveling and serving at Skye Farm as volunteers. Numerous churches and
individuals commit to give to our annual funds, designated projects, or where needed most. We appreciate
you committing your prayers, your talents, and your financial resources. Our commitment to you is that we
will continue to honor the gift and the giver as critical to this sacred work for Christ that we do together.
May God continue to bless these places where Lives are Transformed.
Director Camp & Retreat Ministries
To view the complete newsletter click HERE.
Haven’t been able to stop singing songs from Chapel? We haven’t either!
We sang some awesome songs in Chapel this summer, and we’ve put together a playlist on our YouTube channel so you can listen to all of them!
Click HERE to listen to the playlist!
Planetshakers - This Is Our Time
Elevation Worship - Only King Forever
Elevation Worship - Unstoppable God
Unspoken - Start A Fire
Rend Collective - My Lighthouse
Steve Fee - Rise And Sing
Kristian Stanfill - Always
Chris Tomlin - Indescribable
Hillsong - Sinking Deep
Chris Tomlin - White Flag
Hillsong - Take It All
Casting Crowns - Thrive
Hillsong - Wake
Matt Redman - We Are The Free
Passion - Burning In My Soul
Bastille - Pompeii
Hillsong - Alive
Steve Fee - Broadcast
Rend Collective - Build Your Kingdom Here
Hillsong - From The Inside Out
Jeremy Riddle - Furious
Steve Fee - Happy Day
Hillsong - Hosanna
Newsboys - Live With Abandon
Planetshakers - Nothing Is Impossible
Gungor - Beautiful Things
Chris Tomlin - Our God
David Crowder Band - No One Like You
We’re already busy planning for Summer Camp 2016 - looking forward to seeing you there!
This summer, thousands of children, youth, and adults have enjoyed a summer camp program, a family camp program, or a retreat program at one of the Upper New York Conference’s six camp and retreat centers.
Even as the summer season winds down, CRM has begun welcoming guests to many of its facilities and is preparing for a busy fall season of hosting guests at the six sites. The season is full of changes: soon the leaves and temperature, and then back to school for many seasonal staff and campers. With that, there are also transitions within UNY Camp & Retreat Ministries for three of its staff.
Jim Daly, Director at the Skye Farm Camp & Retreat Center in Warrensburg, will retire Sept. 12. He has just completed his third summer at Skye Farm. Daly will retire after 36 years of full-time service in Camp & Retreat Ministries, having previously served in the Central Pennsylvania and Detroit conferences in addition to serving as the Director at the Asbury Camp & Retreat Center in Silver Lake.
Aliechia Post, Director at the Findley Camp & Retreat Center in Clymer, will return to full-time teaching, having accepted a position in North Carolina. Post has served as director for the past five years and, prior to that, as the seasonal program director and summer staff member at Findley.
Demetrio Beach, Director of Program & Outreach for Camp & Retreat Ministries, has accepted a position at Trinity First United Methodist Church in El Paso, Texas, where he will serve as the Associate Lay Pastor of Discipleship Ministries. Beach has served the past two years as CRM’s Director of program and outreach.
Post, Daly, and Beach have worked tirelessly to support the vision and mission of Upper New York.
“Aliechia, Jim, and Demetrio have been critical in developing programs, maintaining and upgrading facilities, and working with our volunteers and staff in ensuring quality experiences for all our campers, guests and staff,” said Mike Huber, Director of UNY Camp & Retreat Ministries.
“I have known Jim for many years; his deep knowledge and appreciation for facility management and care of our beautiful natural settings has been a rich blessing that will be missed. Aliechia has guided Findley through a significant time period and has learned a great deal and has offered herself fully to the demands of the position. Demetrio has helped develop and create new programs and outreach opportunities for our camp and retreat centers, connecting churches and families to all that we have to offer. It is sad to see Jim, Aliechia, and Demetrio go. I wish them all the best in the next phase of their journey.”
A transition plan is in place for the fall season with support from the Camp & Retreat Ministries Staff Leadership Team.